Sunday, September 20, 2009

Dianne Celebrates a Birthday!

Ah, birthdays. They have the tendency to come around every year. It's just a question as to whether we acknowledge or celebrate them.

Birthdays are like Christmas. The younger you are the slower they seem to come up on the calendar. The older you become, the quicker they arrive.

There is really only one area where I am ahead of Dianne. It isn't Bible knowledge, beauty, overall intelligence, common sense, low-key approach to potential disasters, exercise. Nope, not me in comparison to Dianne. The only area I can think of that I am ahead of Dianne is my birthday falls two and one-half months before hers! For those months, I can tell people I rocked the cradle when I married Dianne. The remaining nine and one-half months we share the same age.

I tend to be the one who purchases the different cards we need for weddings, funerals, birthdays, and other special events. (Not that Dianne doesn't like selecting cards.) The card purchasing for Dianne is a special treat, whether it's for Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, birthday, or Christmas. Those are the times I enjoy pushing my way through the other shoppers to get that special card for my special lady. And, often, it's the first card that catches my eye that ends up being purchased. How does that work?

This year September 19th falls on a Saturday. Great time to have a birthday celebration. You aren't bothered with the normal work week routine. You can focus a longer period of time on the birthday, take her to dinner at one of your favorite establishments, talk about fun and interesting events that have happened in the past to the two of you. And then, the grand finale, present her with the special card you picked out just for her and this moment.


When Dianne either has a grand smile on her face, or moist eyes, I know the words from the card have relayed to her how much she means to me and my daily life.

Come to think of it, it's too bad birthdays only come around once each year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment