Sunday, August 2, 2009

Senior Saints Party, August 1, 2009

Our local congregation has a group called "Senior Saints". Any member fifty and older qualify. Several times during the year, John and Betty Proctor, coordinators, plan an activity for these people. One trip included traveling to the Petrified Forest in Flora, MS. Last night's activity was a meal, funny emails and, of course, board games.






As we entered the multi-purpose room a group was already playing Chinese Checkers. I can't remember how long it has been since I have been that close to people playing this game!



We sang a familiar children's song with appropriate words for senior saints--

Jesus Loves Me

Jesus loves me, this I know
Though my hair is white as snow.
Though my sight is growing dim
Still he bids me trust in Him.

Though my steps are oh so slow,
With my hand in His I'll go.
On through life, let come what may,
He'll be there to lead the way.

Though I am no longer young,
I have much which He's buegun.
Let me serve Christ with a smile,
Go with others the extra mile.

When the nights are dark and long,
In my heart He puts a song.
Telling me in words os clear,
"Have no fear, for I am near."

When my work on earth is done,
And life's victories have been won.
He will take me home above,
Then I'll understand his love.

I love Jesus, does He know?
Have I ever told Him so?
Jesus loves to hear me say
That I love Him every day.

Yes, Jesus loves me,
Yes, Jesus loves me.
Yes, Jesus loves me
The Bible tells me so.


The tables were decorated with a "beach scene" complete with beach towels, flip-flops, beads, etc. Jimmy Buffett would have been proud of the arrangements!










John Proctor engaged the group in a game of Bible Trivia. While the group handled the questions well, there were a couple of times John Pigg and Danny Spain consulted with Danny's Bible application on his phone to verify the game's answer.




After dinner, the group broke into two smaller groups, one playing Balderdash and the other Apples to Apples. And the fun began. Laughter soon followed with the playing of the games. It could be that several people woke up Sunday morning with sore ribs from all of the laughing.

While the Ridgeland, MS, area received additional rainfall, thunder and lightning, every one of us focused on the group and great fellowship.










Thank you John and Betty for a wonderful Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment